Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that some information on this page may belong to the old Software Systems Engineering programme structure and may not be valid for sudents having begun their studies in 2010.
- I did not find the information I was looking for. Where else can I go?
You can also take a look at the pages of the International Office.
Frequently asked questions by enrolled students
- How many credit point will I get for lecture xyz?
- Look at the credit point web page for some illustrating examples.
- How can I register for examinations?
You need to go see the registration officer from the Central Examination Office ("Zentrales Pruefungsamt", located in the SuperC building) within the office hours of ZPA.
The official dates are announced on the blackboards of the chairs.
You need to present your student I.D. when registering. Please, tell the registration officer the following information:
- the name of the Master Programme (Software Systems Engineering)
- For exams in Practical or Theoretical Computer Science for each course which you wish to take an exam in, tell her
- the title of the course
- the name of the instructor
Independent of registering with the Central Examination Office, you should contact the instructors and ask them when the exam will take place. (In many cases that will be an oral exam, and the instructor will simply arrange a date with you.)
Once you have registered for the courses with the registration officer, he/she will send the official registration forms to the respective instructors. The forms will be filled out after the exam and the instructors will send them back to the Central Examination Office, where the results will be recorded. If anything is unclear, please, don't hesitate to ask.
- Can I cancel examinations?
- Yes you can. But only until one week before your examination date. After that date you need a medical certificate.
- How can I apply for the transfer of credits in 2010?
- Transferring credits and grades from other programmes to Software Systems Engineering:
Students with a four year Bachelor degree or those who were previously enrolled in a Master programme in Computer Science or a closely related field are eligible to apply for the transfer of credits and grades to Software Systems Engineering. The transfer of credits can only be granted up to a maximum of 30 credits. Only courses with a grade better than 3.0 (German scale) will be considered. If a course is transferred and the same course is offered at RWTH Aachen, you may take the corresponding exam, but you then have to choose which of the two should count for your final grading.
Your application must contain the following information:
- your name, student id, postal and email address
- a list of courses which you would like to have considered for transfer
- a detailed description of the respective courses
- a photocopy of the transcripts of *all* courses taken in your Bachelor/Master programme(s)
- information about grading and crediting system of your universities
Please drop your application at the secretariat of Lehrstuhl Informatik 5 (Gabriele Hoeppermanns, room 6231, building E2, 2nd floor)
... or send your application by postal mail to:
Lehr- und Forschungsgebiet Informatik 5
RWTH Aachen University
Decisions will be made by late January.
- How can I calculate my final grading?
- Only the first courses (in *temporal* order), which take you to the required 20 or 24 credits, are used to compute the grades in Practical CS, Theoretical CS and the area of specialization. And only these together with the grade for your thesis are used to compute your CGPA. Other courses, which you take for credit, will appear under "additional course work" on your MSc certificate.
- I'm out of time, how can I extend my residence permit?
- Please follow the procedure indicated on International Office on extending the residence permit
- Academic leave of absence
- see http://www.rwth-aachen.de/go/id/zoq
Frequently asked questions by applicants
- Does RWTH Aachen have an institutional code for TOEFL test results?
1. Please let ETS send TOEFL results to our international office. If this is not possible then
2. Please send certified copies of your test results together with your application.
- Do we take tuition fees?
- Yes. You can find information here.
- Do we offer scholarships?
- Yes. We offer 2nd year scholarships. Please read this (German).