Improving A Schema Integration Prototype MINIMUM
Integrating data sources on a metadata level is a longstanding problem in data integration, which is termed schema integration or schema merging. Motivations of an automatic schema integration algorithm come from various application domains, such as data integration, database design, data warehousing, and etc. MINIMUM is a prototype developed at our chair focusing on automatic merging relational schemas interrelated via logical mapping constraints, from which several publications are produced in top conferences.
This thesis aims at enhancing the existing prototype. Possible tasks of the thesis include:
- improvement of the front end;
- extension to XML schemas;
- extension to allow disjunctive tgds in input mapping
- enhancement of the backend reasoning engine (in Prolog).
Depending on the background of the candidate and the specific tasks determined, the topic can be offered as either a bachelor thesis or a master thesis. We welcome students interested in system implementing and/or in database theory.
- Good programming skills in Java
- Background in schemas and schema mappings
- Knowledge in Prolog is a plus
- Background in database theory is a plus.